Thursday, January 26, 2006

People, the People

How's about a nice little bus ride? Please, store your sanity with your luggage in the undercarriage and cut off the circulation to your lower extremities before we get a 6'3" Egyptian to do it for you.

So I hear so many questions concerning the locals in Egypt. Let me tell you that they are mostly sweet and smiley- sometimes a bit too friendly if you have places to be. Everyone invites you in for tea- tea in their shops, or a tea house, or their home. I have been fortunate enough to meet some wonderful local Egyptian(and Nubian-Egyptian) that have taken me into their homes and fed me and gave me tea. They are just happy to have a foreign guest- and never accept money or gifts unless the gift is chocolate.

The photograph above is my seat on the "ghetto" bus I spent 16 hours on in order to get from Luxor to Dahab. No sleep and cramps- what else can I say?! The town of Dahab is on the Sinai pennisula and actually a good place to hang out. Its a not too touristy town that's small enough to be comfortable, and its main attraction is diving in the Red Sea. Salty and incredibly beautiful, the Red Sea is considered one of the best dive sites in the world. It sure has taken me. I am considering becoming a Dive Master which would mean spending more time(and money) diving. More on that later....


For now, enjoy the people of Egypt- I sure am.


By the Colossi in Luxor(on the West Bank of the Nile). These two huge monuments are all that remain of an ancient palace. Oh, and there's some local dude who's work is posing in pictures for money.







These two cuties led me and Jordan through their village by Hatchepsut Monument. Originally, they tried to sell us some handmade dolls(I bought one) and asked for tips, but were more than happy just to have our attention.

This smiley dude posing with me is Bodeway. He runs a falafel place on the West Bank- and is a gracious host. He invited me and an Israeli girl to tea. When we accepted he insisted that he feed us a full dinner. Falafel, salad, beans, soup, tahini, and pita bread. So So good. So we spent a few hours outside his restaraunt eating, laughing- mostly at his comical facial expressions- and watching Arabic music videos. And he wouldn't even accept a tip. One of the best encounters so far.

The toughest salespeople in Dahab. Hard to say "no" to their beautiful faces and their cunning haggling skills. Only had to pay them each 1LE(egyptian pound, about 18cents US) for this picture. They may be tough, but I'm no chicken!


I'll let this one speak for itself. Also in Dahab.

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

those kids are crooks! you can tell by their sweet little smiles. don't eat the yellow sand.

bt

10:15 AM  
Blogger dani said...

hey there chad...excellent pictures....glad you are having a wonderful time in egypt...its sooooo cool to see your shots...thanks for posting....i am headed to boston on feb 11th...any chance you'll be back by then??? i'll be around the NE area for two weeks...let me know where you'll be if you are in the states :) enjoy your travels my friend...i am a bit jealous :) big hugs to erika (is she in NE?) and hi to both of you from beau...i just heard from him :) talk soon...dani

11:37 AM  
Blogger CHunkey said...

Thanks Dani,
Good to hear from you. Erika IS in NE- I'll send you her email. I won't be home by then but keep checkin' the blog for more updates.
Salem Malaykum

3:08 PM  
Blogger CHunkey said...

Thanks Dani,
Good to hear from you. Erika IS in NE- I'll send you her email. I won't be home by then but keep checkin' the blog for more updates.
Salem Malaykum

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey chad great pictures you look good those kids are cute everybody says hello ryan just went back to school yesterday yahoo take care and when are you coming home love sharon

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey chad great pictures you look good those kids are cute everybody says hello ryan just went back to school yesterday yahoo take care and when are you coming home love sharon

6:27 PM  
Blogger CHunkey said...

Yes, I am definitely well fed... but really I just carry it in my face. Look forward to seeing you guys- tell the boys to stop growing. Seriously. Tell them now.
love ya
CHad

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Chuck,

The pictures are great, good thing you are up on your movie trivia. You look like your having a great time. I could tell Erika was not with you over the Holidays, because in the pictures there was a haze around you like the boy in the Peanuts cartoons. Take care and a shower
Love Bobby, Amy, Melanie & Bobby Jr.

7:23 AM  
Blogger CHunkey said...

Actually, the water in the Red Sea is sooo salty that its hard to get a lather going in the shower. Usually, I stand outside of the shower stall, make the sign of the cross with the soap in my hand, and brush my teeth(with toothpaste, not soap).
My right hand is REALLY clean at least.
Good to hear from you guys.
love

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good stuff Chad. I just spent almost an hour of my "prep time" catching up on your photos. Unbelievable. keep up the good work.

10:28 AM  
Blogger CHunkey said...

Thanks Steve-O, glad to know that my tax dollars are making their way back to me in some way. Hopefully I can get some new photos on soon.
See ya.

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dahab this...Dahab that. Bob on my knob in Dahab.

6:48 PM  
Blogger CHunkey said...

Bob on my knob this,
bob on my knob that,
I say funny things as anonymous,
cause I'm a real cool cat.
Nice.

5:35 AM  
Blogger CHunkey said...

Dear Sir,
Been in the desert now for 2 months- and, boy, am I happy. If it were not for conversation I would have probably gone insane. At first I tried to hide it- but then I realized that everyone was doing it. The tourists, the police, the shopowners, the little Bedouin girls selling bracelets. If you ask me, this whole operation is just one big talkathon.
Ah, yes, your question. I would move to many of the places I've visited. Thailand, for instance, I think I'll move there when I'm a dirty old man.
For your nice message I am indebted to you.

Kind regards.
CHarles

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

chadly chadly---
we wiss you too here at mactown, it aint the same without the sax---
craig, della, dr rays and ---- wait, thats it...

3:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey chad hope your doing ok waiting for some new pictures mom sayed you called her the other day we werem there the other night for supper well take care love sharon

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Charlie, I love the reference in your previous post. It reminds of my days as a virile young ladd. I got to go now and get back "to work".

-Tron

PS Father of Tron loves this site.
pps--Bond has made a come back-- "That's a Magnum!"

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This "talkathon" operation is recoculous!

Bang Bang Bang on the door baby,
Knock a little louder sugar!

Bang something.
Happy Valentines Day!

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a pussy for editing my comments. A man with balls of your size and turgor should be able to handle whatever is thrown at you (IN PUBLIC), but no. You consciously choose to be a pussy. I am saddened, and at the same time, I feel like more of a man.

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home