Friday, January 20, 2006

Tunisia- Revisited

Hang loose, my Arab brothers.


So, maybe you heard me talk about the festival in Douz that Jordan and I had attended. And how I maybe left my camera in an internet cafe but got it back days later and that's why I didn't have any pictures from the festival or for most places I went in Tunisia? Well, thanks to our friend Nuria, whom we met with Charlotte at the Festival, I have pictures from Douz. Thanks, Nuria.


The festival is mostly attended by other Tunisians, some Libyans, and a small group of international tourists(like us). It is a jumble of events and we weren't really sure when it began or when it ended. The first event was something about some dogs chasing a rabbit but they ran out of the "arena" area and a bunch of guys ran after them.... and then some guys chased a camel that ran away. In fact, that's how most events(for lack of a better word) ended, with two guys chasing a camel over some sand dunes. Highly entertaining as long as you don't try to understand.

Part of the horse racing event. Really, it was more of a display of old style desert dress and horsemanship. Lots of standing on the saddle and whooping the arms and such.

This was by the Chotts(or saltwater lakes in the desert). When they dry in the summer the water leaves mineral deposits that look really cool. But its winter and we got water. Very beautiful, very salty(I tested). That's Nuria, me, Jordan, and Charlotte. Its like an album cover for a Christian Rock Band or something. Praise Allah, I say.

3 Comments:

Blogger CHunkey said...

Thanks, Sandy,
Glad you like it. Tell Evan to "get on it" as far as learning about Star Wars. I mean, what else are youngsters missing out on these days?!!
love
CHad

1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey chad thanks for the postcard got it todayits the 25th had to move your truck again got a big ass snow storm on monday talk to your later love sharon ps nice bathrooms over there

5:28 PM  
Blogger CHunkey said...

Good to hear about the truck- and all that snow. Hopefully there'll be lots left for snowboarding when I get back.
If you really like the toilets I'll bring one back for you.
HaHa
CHad

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home