Thursday, December 29, 2005

Tunisia- Faith Restored



After leaving my camera and my CD of pictures from Thailand and Tunisia I went to a festival in Douz. Whoopsie!!!!!! Douz is located in southwest Tunisia, at the very fringe of the Sahara Desert, and hosts a three-day festival every year in late December. While at the festival we saw drummers and dancers, horse and dog races, and camel wrestling and camel races. It was pretty damn cool. Being some of the only foreign tourists was a refreshing change from the hordes in Thailand. Of course, I do not have any pictures of the events because I had left my camera behind in another town. Right.
While staying Douz I met a Touk(a local merchant) that told me how honest all Tunisians are. He said that if I left my passport in the center of the market overnight that I could return the next day to find it unmolested. I was extremely skeptical but thought how I would be able to test the statement by returning to the internet café four days later to see if my camera would be returned.

Well, Lo and Behold!!! Here I am, in the town of Gabés, at the same café I was at four days ago, sitting with my camera and CD(I know, the title makes it a little anti-climatic). The people of Tunisia get a Good People award from this kid. Not sure if I want to test again I am glad it happened.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey chad hope you got my messages the other day i have a new email its fraine1959@yahoo.com email if you can love sharon

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Chunder,
Camel wrestling? Come on, is that even possible. Nice try with "losing the camera" I'm sure you had fun at your little "festival". How convenient. I'm not sure how they celebrate the New Years in Tunisia. Hopefully it involves camel wrestling--please forward all pictures.

-Tron

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Chad!!! It's New Years day here in Beverly. Hope you did not eat any bugs to celebrate. Be safe. Love ya sandy

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home