Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Dahab, A Tribute

A sunset opposite the Red Sea. Right near the walkway wooden bridge.

Perhaps you have heard, that on this past Monday, April 23rd at about 7:00 pm(Egypt time) three bombs were detonated in separate locations in Dahab, Egypt. Yes, that's the same Dahab I left not more than 3 weeks before. The place where I spent over 5 weeks SCUBA diving. Though it is the third time a terrorist attack has targeted a tourist area on the Sinai Penninsula in the last 18 months, it is the first time I can say that I'm personally affected by it. To think that I may have known some of the locals that were killed is more than a bit disturbing.
Turns out that about 30 people were killed in all, 60 or so wounded. Most of the casualties were Egyptian tourists, though 3 foreign tourists were killed also- many more were injured. It is sobering to think that I town I spent a good amount of time in and considered relaxing could have been so devestated by violence.
Here's some more pics of Dahab. I still love that place; I hope all the people recover soon and do well. And I hope all those people I still have not heard from are safe.


Here's the backside(non-Sea side) of Seven Heaven Hotel the place I resided at while in Dahab. Wish I had better pictures of it and the owners Samir and Atif, as well as all of the many awesome employees, but I'm no photographer so deal with it. A great place where I met at least a few good chaps and chicks. They're remodelling so it'll be even nicer the next time we get there.





The "Blue Hole" dive sight(at left). What a frickin' dive, too. It was overcast this day but we had sun when it counted- going in and coming out.

Here's a true Shark:
DiveMaster Terry(at right). He's South African, likes to party, and is the main reason that parents should never let their daughters go anywhere near Dahab. Needless to say, we had fun diving together- he made a lot of money off of me. Yeah, and it probably all went to beer.


Some more of the lovely Bedouin girls. They are cute but they're all gold-diggers. At least they don't listen to hip-hop....


To think that such a beautiful place could be the sight of a horrific attack....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home